The first iOS 13 public jailbreak Checkra1n is released based on checkm8 which is a bootrom exploit that works from iPhone 4 to X. Checkra1n is also compatible with iOS 12.3 to iOS 13.2.2 so if you want to learn how to jailbreak iOS 13, please follow the tutorial.
The Checkra1n jailbreak tool is still in beta so there will be some stability issues and you might run into bugs running this. If you can handle some bugs then read on.
Table of Contents
iOS 13 Checkra1n jailbreak compatible devices
Although Checkra1n is compatible with devices running iOS 12.3 to iOS 13.2.2 but the list of the devices it can jailbreak is limited. Here’s the full list to check if your device is compatible or not.
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPad mini
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad Air
Since Checkra1n is based on checkm8 exploit it won’t be able to jailbreak newer devices released after iPhone X such as iPhone XR, iPhone XS or XS Max or iPhone 11 series.
Jailbreak for iOS 13: Things to remember
Currently, the Checkra1n jailbreak requires you to have access to a PC however this jailbreak method only supports macOS only.
The Windows and Linux versions are in development but there is no release date available.
Currently, it only supports the Cydia package manager. Support for other package managers is under development.
iOS 13 Jailbreak Tutorial
Follow these steps to jailbreak your iPhone or iPad
- Step 1
Download the Checkra1n app for macOS from here. Install it by opening and dragging it to the Applications folder.
- Step 2
Open the applications folder, right-click on the Checkra1n app and select open. Do not open by double-clicking the app. Click Open on the pop-up that appears.
- Step 3
Connect your device using a lightning cable, if your device asks you to trust this computer, click Trust and enter the passcode.
- Step 4
The connected device will be detected and if your device is incompatible, you’ll see a sorry message and the start button will be disabled or greyed out.
- Step 5
If your device is compatible, proceed ahead to the jailbreak process.
– Keep your device connected and turn off.
– Press and hold down the side and volume down button together for about 10 seconds. If you see the Apple logo, you did not do it correctly, repeat the switch off and start the process again.
– Release the power button but keep the side button pressed for about five more seconds. If you see the ‘Connect to iTunes’ screen, you have pressed it for too long.
– Your device will show you a black screen in DFU mode if everything is done as we explained here the Checkra1n app will detect your device.
— For iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus
– Keeping your iPhone connected to your Mac, press the Volume Up button. Then press the Volume down button
– Press and hold the Side button until your iPhone displays a black screen.
– Keeping the Side button pressed, go ahead and press the Volume down button for 5 seconds.
– Let go off the Side button after 5 seconds but keep the Volume down button pressed for another 5 seconds.
- Step 6
Checkra1n will detect your iPhone/iPad and will start the jailbreak process automatically.
- Step 7
Once the process is done you’ll see the Checkra1n app loader on your device. Open it and install the Cydia packages manager.
- Step 8
Once the Cydia Package Manager is installed, your jailbreak process os complete.
Alternatively, you can also watch the video below to jailbreak your iOS 13 device.